Mesnelea achieve the LotC Bronze Mark - Learning Outside the Classroom Mark
12 December 2017
Congratulations! Our school has achieved an important benchmark by being awarded the Learning Outside the Classroom Mark (Bronze) award. This is a powerful statement of our understanding of, and commitment to, the benefits of learning outside the classroom (LOtC).
- Learning outside the classroom supports improved standards back INSIDE the classroom, raising attainment, reducing truancy and improving discipline.
- Learning outside the classroom is known to contribute significantly to raising standards & improving pupils’ personal, social & emotional development. It also contributes to the quality and depth of learning (OFSTED, Learning Outside the Classroom - How far should you go? 2008).
- Learning outside the classroom enables children to interact in new ways with their peers and adults, improving relationships between teachers and pupils, particularly with those students who are hard to reach in the classroom environment.
- Learning outside the classroom is effective in delivering learning outcomes across all areas of the curriculum including literacy, numeracy, science, history, geography and IT and has the most impact when opportunities to learn outside the classroom are frequent, continuous and progressive.
- OFSTED says that learning outside the classroom is crucial to delivering a broad and balanced curriculum (response to Select Committee review Education Outside the Classroom, October 2010).
Well done to all involved.