Attendance at Mesne Lea
- Good attendance is vital for good progress at School.
- Every day in school counts towards your childs future. We are preparing them with good life skills.
- Days absent from school = lost days learning.
- If your child arrives at school 5 minutes late every day over the school year they will have missed a total of 3.5 days of school.
- Every school day counts towards your child’s future.
In total there are 175 non-school days a year. This gives families the opportunity to
- Spend time together
- Go on family visits
- Go on holiday
- Go shopping
- Go on days out
- Attend routine appointments
For safeguarding and educational reasons, schools must follow up all unexplained and unexpected absence in a timely manner, such as through “First Day Response” procedures.
The Law regarding school attendance states that if you allow your child to be absent from school without good reason, you are committing an offence which could result in a Penalty Notice being issued or prosecution. Dept of Education 2013
Nursery and Reception
Doors open at 8.50am
Registers taken at 9.00 am
Any child arriving after 9.00 am must be taken to the office and signed in as arriving late.
Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2
8.50am Children should be lined up in the playground to be taken in by the class teacher.
9.00am Registers are taken.
Any child arriving after 9.00am must be taken to the office and signed in as late.
If your child has an appointment you must notify the office in advance and provide a copy of the appointment slip or letter.
Children are to be collected from the office for any appointments. After the appointment they should return to the office and be signed in before returning to class.
Should your child be absent, please ring school before 9 o’clock. You must advise school as to the reason for your child’s absence from school. Evidence will need to be provided, such as a medical note, doctor’s note or medicine that your child is taking.
Don’t forget to ring school before 9.15 am should your child be absent from school. 0161 790 4234
Holidays/leave absence from school
Mesne Lea Primary School cannot authorise holidays in term time. The Head Teacher will only grant leave of absence in extraordinary circumstances. A detailed of circumstances can be found in our full policy available to download from our Policies section.
Should you decide to take your child on holiday in term you will be served with a fine by Salford City Council. Payment within 21 days of receipt of notice is £60.00 and £120.00 if paid after this but within 28 days. The fine will apply to each parent for each child who fails to attend regularly. Both Penalty Notices must be paid. For example, in a family where there are two parents who fail to ensure the regular attendance of their two children, the fine would be £240.00 for each parent.
Being frequently late for school adds up to lost learning:
▪ Arriving 5 minutes late every day adds up to over 3 days lost each year.
▪ Arriving 15 minutes late every day is the same as being absent for 10 days year.
▪ Arriving 30 minutes late every day is the same as being absent for 20 days a year.
Friday Morning the class with the highest attendance will be rewarded with Lenny the Lion.